PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail icing
Thread: Tail icing
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2011, 17:17
Admiral346

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next time you deice, ask the deicerguy if he actually deices the lower surface of the stabilizer.
I did one time, and the reply was that they didn't even have the equipment to do underwing deicing.
Now what does a stabilizer do, and what would be dangerous if it didn't?
The thing is there to produce a downdraft. It works like a wing inverted. The important surface is the LOWER one, and noone on this earth even bothers to spray it. Everytime we get deiced; i kind of smile to myself.
Deicers, where I work, are able to call for more deicing, and I as the Captain may not turn it down. In turn I would only be allowed to ask for more deicing than suggested by the deicer.
So everyday thousands of tails get deiced, without the people responsible even knowing what it is there for, aerodynamically.

The CRJ I fly has a Ttail, and it has no iceprotection built in. I have flown it in ice as bad as it gets and never even felt the difference to it being clean. I still get the ice sprayed off the leading edges (and the upper surface of the sabilizer) as I do believe in a clean wing. If only it was done right...

Nic