PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2011, 14:18
JFZ90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I thought I would offer the following comments in response to your statement that "cuts" are going to be "too quick, too deep, too fast".

First of all these cuts are made by a coalition government, two of the 3 main political parties are putting the package together. In addition, even the Labour party admit (at least most do) that the budget deficit needs to be tackled, it is the "when and how" they disagree on.
I think we're using the same facts at the end of the day - I don't doubt cuts are required.

The "when and how" is the key issue - my reading is that the speed and depth is really being pushed by the Tories (and the LibDems are going along with it it seems - not that that doesn't make them culpable for the outcome). We'll never know if the Labour cuts would have been as deep or quick - but it seems likely they would at least not have been as quick, and on that basis its possible Nimrod would have survived.

Its also impossible to know which strategy is best for the UK in the long term - quick & deep could be the right answer - but from my basic grip of economics it feels risky, likely to cripple the UK economy and leave us at a disadvantage globally. But I could be wrong.