PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question For The Experts - Use Of Flaps.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2011, 06:50
Captain Sand Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly in reply to Sunfish I would say that retracting flap would be OK if overshooting as long as the IAS is adjusted appropriately and the aircraft trimmed, as previously stated. Certainly worth a try if all else has failed, anyway! For information, the ADF teaches CT4 students to initially pick an aiming point 1/3 into the selected landing field, then when on final full flap is selected to bring the aim point back in order to take full advantage of the landing distance available.
Secondly – my 2c on glide slope management for powered approaches. The ADF teaches CT4 students to roll out final at 500FT AGL then select full flap. The resulting glide slope is significantly steeper than those flown by other GA types I have observed that also are using full flap. I estimate that the full flap glide slope some GA drivers are using are shallower than the glide slope we teach CT4 students for flapless approaches. As others have stated, a case of trying to fly 747 circuits in lighties in my opinion. Why?
Thirdly – turn backs. Reciprocal turnbacks are possible in the PC9. However these manoeuvres are not to be briefed, demonstrated or taught to students. And with good reason. Remember the PC9 has an ejection seat that works quite well. Why risk stalling the aircraft at high AoB trying to make it back when the Martin Baker roadside assist plan is available?
As a first tourist QFI on the PC9 I recall practicing reciprocal turnbacks with other QFIs. The “manly” thing to do was to hack the throttle at 500FT AGL and try to get it back on the runway from there. Frequently this required pulling to the light buffet in order to haul the nose around. The lunacy of this eventually dawned on me after practicing these manoeuvres at night, scaring the sh!t out of myself.
A couple of thousand more hours on the beast later, I wouldn’t consider a reciprocal turnback in the PC9 below 1,000FT AGL. Remember the ADF has spent a motza installing ejection seats. They’re not there for looks.
Reciprocal turnbacks are only practiced (sans students!) in the CT4 to demonstrate the absolute futility of attempting such a manoeuvre in that aircraft.