PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some Of The Crew Back In 1992-1993.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2011, 00:39
airsupport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems this thread is coming to an end, or certainly slowing down in interest.

Anyway a few more things I was just remembering about the Hanoi-Moscow-Hanoi runs back in 1992/93.

Not sure exactly when Communism finished in Russia, but during that time we operated there it was still around and some very odd things, and of course Vietnam was and still is Communist.

During out turnrounds in Moscow there were several armed guards on the aircraft, and it is the only place I had ever seen (there may be others?) where any locals that came aboard had to leave their ID cards with one of these guards at the front door and collect it again as they left the aircraft, to prevent anyone trying to escape I guess, mind you why on Earth they would want to go to Vietnam.

I was passengering back on one of the flights and these two huge Russians wearing hats and trench coats came aboard, they were exactly like the ones that you used to see in those spy vs spy magazines. They had a parcel for the Russian Embassy in Hanoi that they wanted us to take with us but safe hands in the cabin NOT downstairs, they said when I asked them what is was that it was machine parts.

Anyway I went and told the Captain and he was reluctant to accept it, which pleased me. However after some communications way above our heads the Captain agreed to take it. I generally enjoy flying, but that was one of the most nervous flights I have ever had, 12 hours with this box under MY seat.

Anyway we made it safely and it was collected in Hanoi by two Russians who bypassed Customs etc, must have been some machine parts.