PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - THe Majestic 747 - the original Jumbo of the Sky
Old 29th Jan 2011, 22:04
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 3 compliant, yes, but relatively far noisier than the others, not a good neighbour. Remember than dB is a logarithmic scale.
Without wishing to sound too inconsiderate of others JdS, as long as the B747 remains within the requirements of stage 3 and can still turn a buck for the operators then she will, I think, continue to fly. The people in the flight path have long since sold their souls for cheap houses, triple glazing and sound proofing etc. etc. in the days of Trident, BAC1-11, B707, VC10, DC8 and so on.

On another tack, take the inclusive tour market, no requirement to give a reasonable spread of flights through the day, just get them there, to Palma, Malaga or where ever. Which will be cheaper, one B747-400 with a value written down to a few million, carrying 450-500 passengers, incurring one landing fee, one navigation charge, no overseas refelling, (unless it is cheaper, then there is a huge capacity to tank in cheap fuel), one Tech Crew, one ATC slot, one set of ground movement and handling charges etc. etc. or three B737/A320 aircraft? (I have deliberately left any maintainence costs out but doubt if they would be deal breakers).

Even on the longer distances to, say Egypt, Cyprus etc. the B747-400 will be very light and operating in a very fuel efficient envelope, incurring only two pressurisation cycles instead of six. Additionally, as it will be quite light, if it uses a Reduced Thrust take-off, it will be quiet too!

Oh yes, I totally agree with PAXboy too, there only ever was, or ever will be, one Jumbo, that is the B747.
The A380 would be more appropriatly named the Dugong, (or White Elephant!).

Last edited by parabellum; 29th Jan 2011 at 22:18.