PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Changing Times
Thread: Changing Times
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2011, 21:54
Ryan5252

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Times

Hi All,

Before you switch off, I assure you it's not simply another is the US better than UK question I am asking. Personal circumstances have dictated that I will (happily) be moving permanently to the Florida in 2 years time. (Wife doing a PhD has offer for a job and green card sponsorship).

It has always been my intention to gain a PPL (done) and build on that to hopefully become a competent enough pilot to instruct. My flying is going well and I am not adverse to filling flight plans and GARs for flights across the FIR from Ireland to England and back. I planned on building my experience by gradually flying further afield but now the time has come where I have to make some relatively immediate decisions.

I am delighted to be going back to Florida and on a permanent basis. UK/EU flying is becoming so restrictive in terms of EASA reg's coupled with less accommodating airfields (£75 at EGPK last week!!) and rising prices across the board, I envisage only pilots with commercial ambition 'sticking at it' in 10/20 years time.

I'll cut to chase and pose my question; should I carry on with my flying as I'm doing now or should I get the ATPLs, CPL and FI sorted quick sticks before I go out, or should I relax and fly when I can and do everything else when I get out there?

Ideally I would like to hit the ground running when I get out but I imagine I will be able to complete the training FAA style without much financial reservations.

Would the increased costs of doing what I want in the UK combined with any required FAA conversions when I move away outweigh the advantage of saving my money now for flying experience and completing the training in the US at a more reasonable rate?

Advice from both sides of the pond would be fantastic, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps this may be more suited to the Professional Training boards? (I consider myself GA through and through and most of them boys are snobby )

Cheers
Ryan