PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2011, 18:55
Paul H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you've got anything to worry about. It depends on how much you really want to become a training captain. Let me briefly explain my position.

I left school (UK) at 17, and then went to college for two years. I left at 19, then took a year out to work as I had no idea what I really wanted to do. My plan was to join the RAF as a pilot, but that dream was torn apart when I went for a 4 year check up at hospital. My consultant told me that a minor heart problem that should be gone, had actually gotten worse. Heart surgery was the only option. At this point I abandoned flying all together, assuming that I would never be a pilot with such a medical history.
I chose to go to University at 21 to study Astrophysics, as my passion for astronomy has never gone away. In 2006 at age 25, I graduated with an Masters in the same subject.
After realising that Astrophysics was not really that enjoyable as a career, I looked back at avitation. I went to Gatwick and got a 1st class medical (although it took 7 months to get the paper work due to complications between the CAA and my consultant).
April 2008, now 26 I start my PPL. 2 and a half years later, now aged 29, on 2nd Sept 2010 I pass my PPL and start building hours. I'm enroled to start my ATPL theory in April. We'll see how it goes from there.

Only two months ago, I had almost the same conversation with two young (early 30's) junior FO's flying for BMI out of Heathrow. They both told me not to worry, as getting a job in my 30's would not be a worry, as that is the average age that pilot's are recruited.
Having a degree or Masters on your CV might even increase your chances of being called to interview.
If the S**T hits the fan and I can't get an Airline job, at least I have two degrees to fall back on. Hopefully I've got all corners covered.

You have plenty of time. I even met a pilot last year who got a job at 42.