PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Increased takeoff performance downwind on Bell 212's
Old 3rd Sep 2002, 18:38
John Bicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
helmetfire et al,

Seems to have gone a bit quiet here as to the conjecture about what is really happening in the back end of the Bell in the manouevre as quoted.

Re your comment about the foil going backwards - from what I recall even a flat board will generate lift just not as efficiently and the stalling A of A is less. I have seen someone fit a set of TR blades on a H300 backwards and it flew OK. Even seen a H500C TR P/Link fitted on one blade of a H500D (one is considerably shorter) and it flew OK although made a funny noise.

It would be interesting to know what is happening to all the wakes in this manouevre. It ain't really as depicted in the basic training manuals wouldn't you say. As I said before where is the wake from the TR going?

A graphic of interest:

Have a look here: http://www.dynamicflight.com/aerodyn...lational_lift/

Imagine what would happen if the aircraft is facing the other way i.e. translating to the rear as was discussed. If this graphic is anywhere close to the truth all of the previous drag and downforces on the tail would be eliminated and/or in a beneficial direction. Going on Nick Lappos' appreciation of the S76 performance losses when they stuck the phone booth on the front of one there may be something in it.