PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 Years ago today....
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2011, 16:08
phil9560

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some years ago I emailed Roger Boisjoly who was a Senior Engineer at Morton Thiakol .They were the company who manufactured the SRBs'.A year before the Challenger disaster he had voiced concerns about the effects of extreme cold on the seals in the booster joints.He was kind enough to answer several questions.I've pasted the reply he was kind enough to give below.It makes intersting reading.

Considering your emotions leading upto,and during the teleconference on the eve of the launch, would you have voiced your concerns to any one of the astronauts if the chance had arisen?

Answer: I along with several of my colleagues who were trying to stop the launch really thought that NASA would listen to us and stop the launch, so it never entered my mind about the need to contact the astronauts. Also, please understand that I had no way of contacting them even if I had wanted to do it. They are kept in seclusion prior to any launch and nobody except an immediate family member may contact them. This also answers the next question.
Or to be more direct,did it cross your mind at any time during the weeks leading up to the launch? I believe it`s possible you may have met the crew at some point, though Im not sure.

Do you think they would have listened to you?
Answer: Yes, I am quite certain that both the Commander and Pilot would have definitely listened and cancelled the flight. I speak with sure conviction because I know that Commander Scobee told his wife the night before launch that he had asked NASA if it was prudent to launch in freezing weather and they showed hime pictures of a Solid Rocket Booster firing on the ground with snow on the groiund and said it works just fine. However, NASA lied to the Commander because the temperature of the O-Ringes at the time of the ground testing was between 47 and 52 degrees F. This information was seen by millions here in the U.S. on the 60 minutes show that aired on the 10th anniversary of the Challenger disaster as Mrs. Scobee was being interviewed by leslie Stahl.
It`s hard to evaluate the possible ramifications if you had voiced the concerns to the crew,but one thing is for sure....I personally would not have wanted to fly if an engineer had told me the facts.
Answer: I would have still lost my career but at least none of the astronauts would have died.
If you dont mind me asking,do you find that the tragedy is etched in your mind to a degree where you live with it every day,or have you managed to shelve it to a corner of the mind?
I have lived with the disaster for 21 years and I know I will continue to do so for the rest of my life. However, I want you to know that I am okay and have recovered from all the negative features of the event because I was able to speak about it for 19 years to mostly college student all ove the US and several other countries like Norway, Sweden, Canada, Mexico, etc.
I do hope I havent bothered you too much,Im sure youre a very busy man.
Answer: You haven't bothered me at all and that is why I am answering your inquiry. I am now fully retired fro my own business that my wife and I formed after the Challenger disaster since I was Blackballed from being able to secure employment in my own country as an engineer because I was branded a Whistleblower (Truthteller - my term) by our media after I testified and exposed the truth about what really happened during the launch decision process.