PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2011, 11:10
Winch-control

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you, and previous posters have now driven this thread well off track... maybe intentional, maybe not.
Lets get back to the point, and lets be blunt.
What was/ wasnt fitted to the a/c is only relevant in regard to its release to service and what was fitted on the day.(some will tell, some wont, as to why or not ...well thats history...).
The Mk2 release to service was not fit for purpose depending on which version you read. A whole host of people with varying ranks were party to this but won't admit to it, and that stems from 1988 I do believe. Its history...
For more recent if you cannnot see the blatant de-lamination of the control panel as being a factor in this incident. my bias (as I witnessed 36hours before this a/c took off)...then yep thats history..
As for the incumbents on the engineering side, when it goes to any level above chief/Sgt, who cares, they had a part to play, but not on the day, the rest is History.
The a/c hit the Mull because, from inception through to release, it was an ill thought out aircraft on an unfit for purpose sortie, and the procedures and engineering did not back up the release. In my opinion huge mistakes were made from Air level down, but at the end of the day the a/c was not fit for purpose. The crew most certainly were.
The nitty gritty is not relevant. And would hazard to add the fact the control pallet had delaminated 36hrs before is also not relevant, but may have been, nor were the prawn volovents... but they may also have been...
There in a nutshell...

And mods, you have removed me from else where on this site, please feel free to remove me from here, I have asked on three previous occassions to be removed.