PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryan Air and EZ Jet Looking!!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2002, 17:31
tailscrape

Terrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good points.

G Spots lost:

You are quite right, there is more to life than getting a Boeing immediately, however it can make life easier if you are that lucky.

As for what would an employer prefer etc etc....well a lot of the time I think it depends what side of bed they got out of that day! It is too big a subject to generalise.

If they are a reputable outfit like my mob ( big UK charter), they will most likely prefer a track record of some sort. Bought type ratings are little use, because we have a first class training department.

However, if it is a fly by night ****ehawk operator (no names please) then the type rating may be an advantage.

Who knows?

Dr Evil 2002:

As for twiddling knobs on a computer.

You don't do much of that going into Corfu at night with thunderstorms about....or Girona for that matter....or Kos....or lots of other places really.

More often than not, you will be hand flying a visual approach into a dark hole of a runway with very poor lighting and no ILS or the likes......

Believe me, I do it.

However, you are correct in the assumption that a great deal of time on a large aircraft is spent monitoring it.

After all, why would we be pilots if we didn't actually land it ourselves when you can see the runway?!??!

Leave that for the Airbus after I am dead (after a long flying career i hope ,and a long retirement too!).

Good luck everyone. Keep then debate coming!

TS