PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question For The Experts - Use Of Flaps.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2011, 09:52
RadioSaigon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to fess up, it's a while since I've flown one in any configuration... but from memory, with 40 degrees out in the breeze and even a moderate load (say 2 POB, 1/2 tanks) full throttle in that configuration resulted in a negative ROC. If a missed approach was necessary from that configuration, I started getting the flaps up (very carefully) from the instant the throttle was in.

American courts of the day (70's, 80's) took pretty much the same view, which very nearly sounded the death knell of the GA manufacturing industry around that time -and certainly resulted in Cessna reducing the available flap from 40 degrees to 30. The old crash reports were replete at the time with details of Yanks flying their 40 degree equipped 172's into oblivion on a missed approach from a 6,000' concrete runway!!! No editorialising necessary from me there...

So I guess really the problem with overshooting from that configuration (something I have done -apparently successfully ) is, or should I say was apparently a lack of training and inept mishandling.