PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Noise, Parliament and Manchester
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2001, 22:55
PFR
Gamekeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Considering the thread and the concerns residents of Knutsford have made with noise, especially recently with their meeting in the Civic Centre (last Friday) and the TV piece on the local BBC news (North West Tonight, circa Tuesday), can I pose the following query to the experts ?
Considering that a significant level of concern/disturbance is from landing traffic generated by the fact that R2 (06R) is primarily used for landings when Easterly's prevail, as currently, bar between mid-day and 15:00 when operations swap to R1, what possibility exists to stagger arrivals between R2 & R1 ? Similar to that done at LHR described in another thread `Runway Open'.
That's to say when landings are required 06 use R1 for a given period (day about or week about) then swap to R2 for a similar period. Alternatively could the early hours say before 09:00 be prioritised for 06L with 06R being used afterwards until early evening, afterwhich landings would revert to 06L. Some similar arrangements could cater for weekends when as I see it significant disturbance occurs Saturday/Sunday mornings as people are lying-in (especially compounded by the summer months when people sleep with the windows open, when we get a summer !).
It may seem insignifcant but I'm sure that if MIA would make some gesture to use 06L for more arrivals like in the old days this would pacify a lot of the residents and improve their community relations.
For those not aware using 06R for arrivals means a/c are signifcantly lower and more over residential areas. Comments would be greatly appreciated.
I suspect that the ground infrastructure can't support 06R being used for departures if 06L is the arrival runway, especially in peak times, Am I right ? What implications for the STAR's also ?
Sorry it's so long, but I really would be interested in the professional opinion.
Many thanks PFR