PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microsoft Flight Simulator
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2011, 23:00
DavidFlies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that if you came back to Halton (airfield), you'd be VERY surprised! Cast-iron hangers are still dominating the landscape there (rusty rusty!) and there are Chipmunks a-plenty! The well-known aviation artist Michael Turner hangers his Chipmunk there - beautiful machine! Quite often see him polishing it outside one of the hangers. I would just LOVE to have the opportunity to go up in a Chipmunk someday. They're expensive though! Very thirsty on oil apparently, albeit I am not very technical so am probably wrong!

Thank you for the "good luck". I'll need it! My background is retail and having taken my first 'trial lesson' at the end of 2009 - half way through my third (and final) year of my degree in Retail Management, I really enjoyed it. In all honesty, I'm keeping a very open mind given the exceptionally turbulent aviation industry, however, I will still give it my best shot with regards to achieving a Commercial Pilots Licence hopefully within the next 18 months!

Thank you for your advice regarding simulators. Like finding the 'right' flight school, knowing which simulator to get is a bit of a puzzle! Not 100% certain that investing approx £800-£1000 on a 'decent' new computer (including flight controls) is what I should do, or whether I should just save the money for the 'journey' ahead of me, but I failed my Oxford Aviation 'CRJ-200' Simulator test a few days ago (I went to Oxford Aviation Academy for a 'Skills Assessment') because I was so horrendous at controlling the aircraft! Took me by surprise in all honesty and made me question whether I should at least get used to flying through simulators a bit more because it would enable me to practice my 'scan' technique! Obviously, I appreciate that a computer-based simulator is nothing like the real thing. Just looking to weigh up some options

Thank you once again.

Kind regards

David