PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-737 Simulator Assesment - What Should I Expect?
Old 28th Jan 2011, 16:28
PAPI-74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have they sent through any N1 / EPR vs Pitch info, or profiles - they should?
If not hound them for a brief.

Looks as though you'll be on the NG. I only have the 300 series settings, but I very much doubt it is much different.

737-300

250 kts clean 4deg NU 60%
210 kts clean 6deg NU 58%
Flaps 5 (1800 6deg NU 60%
Glide/S Flaps 30 (Vref+5) 2.5deg NU 58%
(weight + 6 is more accurate for the ILS. EG 51tonnes + 6 = 57%)

Do not go below Vref or you will need all of the thrust to recover, then it will pitch up and quickly go out the window.
Attitude and N1 is the only way and it will sit there if TRIMMED.

Leveling off from the SID can be tricky. Rotate to 15 deg (max 20) with 3 deg per sec. Call for Climb Thrust at 1000 aal and set 10deg NU. Again nail the attitude when leveling off. Climb rate will be anything about 3000 + fpm depending on the weight, so lead it with 300' to 5-6 deg NU and set 58%.
Trim.

These are +/- 1% depending on the day, but a good start. I would have said that the important one is missing - G/S live and G Dn Flp15 needs a fist of thrust to counter the drag as it is ballooning. I cannot find a setting on N1, only EPR for the 757, but try standing the levers up and watching the speed tape. Again, nail your new attitude - approx 5deg NU but this wasn't in the brief (the 757 is 5 Deg NU).

Flaps 1 selected at 210kts and reduce to 190kts
Flaps 5 selected at 190 and red to 180 (nail the pitch att)
Gear Dwn F15 at 2 NM before the Glide and reduce to 150kts (watch for the balloon)
Flap30 0.5NM before G/S reduce to Vref+5 (again it will balloon)
Vref 136kts depending on the weight.

Remember to call for the speeds to be dialed in when you config.

170-180 kts downwind F5

If you do not nail the pitch attitude and the N1 setting, you will never fly a good approach. Due to underslung engines it will pitch up/dwn quite a bit, so set the thrust and let it settle. Use the NU attitudes above as a datum, so if you have to get 200' back, 1/2 deg pitch change only will get it back, then nail your datum attitude again. Use the VSI all the time out of the corner of your eye.

Get Flight Sim X and then get the 737 add-on (I assume it is the 300) Captain Sim – Flight Simulation Software
You will need to get the Support Package 2 download too, to make it run and a good computer.

These are good too.
Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System (PC): Saitek: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

The pitch and thrust settings aren't the same, but your scan will be great and your capacity up. You will also know where to scan for the info and how to use the track correct line etc....
It may cost a few quid, but it will get you the job and you can use it for OPC/LPC's in the future - I had to buy a new PC to run it, but it worked.

If you PM me if you need more info.

Good luck

Last edited by PAPI-74; 28th Jan 2011 at 16:56.