PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trident autothrust system and autoland
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2011, 15:10
Flightwatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a personal memory of the speed of the Trident.

Many moons ago when I was a 23 year old co-pilot on the Viscount I was due to position from the N.E. of England to LHR on a Trident. The Captain, who was one of life's characters, and excellent if ill-advised operator, asked me if I would like a little fun. Of course says I in youthful ignorance. "OK he says, you sit in the RHS, the F/O sits in the E/O's seat and the E/O on the jump seat".

After a briefing which could hardly scratch the surface of my lack of knowledge of a jet aircraft laying particular emphasis on the setting of power on the take off run, never having operated one before, we set off into the wild blue yonder at what seemed like breakneck speed. I was used to the leisurely speed of the Viscount - I remember the routing down A1 was POL - LIC - DTY - Garston each portion of which required a position report and normally took about 10 minutes in the Vimy. Of course they all took a little less than half this and I seemed to be constantly on the r/t. I really didn't know which way to look as we rocketed up to FL260 then down again.

Of course we survived and a great time was had by all except the E/O who was distinctly uncomfortable with proceedings and 2 years later I was flying the 1-11, I never again sat in an operating seat of the Trident. I might add in slight mitigation that I had previously been allowed to hand fly a Britannia 102 by the same Captain on an empty positioning flight in cruise, so I wasn't a totally unknown quantity to him. However apart from the size of the flight deck which was more akin to a ship's bridge, the speed and handling characteristics were much closer to what I was used to.

I feel safe in recounting the story now as I at least 2 of the 3 other players have left us and the statute of limitations must have run out after 43 years.

Happy, politically incorrect, technically dangerous and pre CRM days. I can't imagine anybody being foolish enough to try the same stunt nowadays, but I enjoyed it!