PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 28th Jan 2011, 10:48
BlackandBrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I answered honestly and reasonably, however when asked how I have dealt with cultural diversity one wonders what on earth they expect people to say. I would imagine they must hear complete bollocks.
You just have to play the game and tell them what they want to hear - I was always told for interviews be honest and be yourself - that seems to have worked for me in interviews when asked questions specifically about me, what I have done to get where I am and what I would/ will do to get where I want to be. But asking me bull$hit questions about when I have lead a group, specifically in the last 6 months, within aviation, when I am in the first 12 months of my airline flying career is just that, bull$hit. To ask me when I have had to deliver bad news to the crew and how I went about it, when I am in the first 12 months of my airline flying career is just that ,bull$hit. There were a number of other inappropriate questions too. They did however brief at the start, from a laminated sheet, that the questions were all for one and one for all to make it 'fair'. How inflexible and unfair. How un-natural. I now probably sound bitter.

I later heard form a captain who passed their process but was in a holdpool and not picked up, who has a family member who heads up an HR division for a large multinational organisation, that in these circumstances what you need to do with these text book questions is give a text book, fixed answer. No flexibility. You need to tell them what they want to here. It has little to do with you as a person in the interview. The problem is BA are petrified of being branded discriminatory. So they make their process inflexible, fixed and a game - at least on the interview front. The rest is what it is - a tad unnecessary and a little bit cliched and unoriginal bar the sim ride. What they should do is see the 'graph' of our progress and extrapolate a line for the future - see our sim reports, see our career history, see what our hopes and ambitions are and see what we do outside flying. Not one of these topics was touched in any part of the selection for me.

For my part I finished on a late before the interview, had a suit that was 4 sizes too small and I probably didn't do too well on the verbal reasoning. My interview was appauling because of the dreadful question types - it was easily my worst interview performance by a long, long way which is disappointing when I was interviewing for the job I want most. There was quite possibly a personality clash too though I didn't dislike the captain interviewing me. We didn't gel though.

Being a BA pilot seems to be one of the nicer jos out there for a pilot. Personally I will give it one more go if they'll let me. The problem is, how do I know where to improve? I have identified areas where I think the process and I were poor but am I just bitter? Well, I have tried to be objective.

I think the BA people who have commented on here have shown that it does employ good people - there have been no cutting remarks, no arrogance and alot of helpfulness. Hopefully I will get in but if I don't, it's because I am not right for them and they are not right for me not because I am ****. This is NOT a test, it IS a selection.