PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gutersloh, Mid 70s
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2011, 09:23
Gerontocrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late 1970s and my regiment was based not far from Guetersloh. Then-Mrs G was due to sprog with our first, and one Godfather-desig was JENGO on 18 Sqn.
As was the custom in those days, “Hatches” were often announced by means of some witty signal. So, when the young master made his appearance, I despatched the following signal, clearly addressed to JENGO, 18 Sqn: ”Ref underslung-load tests commenced [DTG] Results produced [DTG] showed Moment About Load Equivalent of 2.2kg”
Nothing was heard back. Many weeks later, I drove over to Gut, where said JENGO was surprised to hear that I had signaled, but he had seen nothing. As we were having a coffee in his office a head popped round the door and announced, something on the lines of: “Ah, better still, BOTH of you are here. Boss wants you, hats on (in my case beret). Now. Finish your coffee, I gather none will be offered.”
Mystified, we drained our mugs, donned headgear and headed off to see Sandy Hunter.
It transpired that the signal had arrived in the commcen but, evidently, somebody had failed to note the addressee. Station Commander (Ge***e O**, IIRC) apparently took it amiss that somebody had been playing with his helicopters without informing him. Nobody else, it seems, had any idea [there’s a surprise], so a request for a full report on these ‘tests’ was punted off to HQRAFG. No idea there, either, so the matter was referred back over the channel to all those who might have had knowledge of the matter.
Eventually, somebody spotted the original addressee and the matter winged back to Gut. Hence our summons!
There was some talk about a report being sent to my CO ref incorrect use of service facilties, but I have to admit I heard no more of the matter: other pending problems might have taken my CO’s eye off this particular ball: something to do with taking a squadron of Chieftains over a bridge without seeing the “Class 10” sign!!