PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown Procedures
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2011, 02:55
le Pingouin

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
I would have thought controllers would be supporting me on this, not abusing me.
Because you bloody well won't listen to those same controllers telling you facts about how radar & the rules work

What I am told is that the old analogue radar would allow target resolution (if we actually had the procedures promulgated), but the new digital radar isn’t as accurate so it won’t allow this.
You have been told no such thing. It's just your wilful misinterpretation of the reality that's being presented to you.

Analogue returns are smeared out blobs so the inaccuracy of the return is inherently displayed by the physical size of the return on the screen.

With a digital return I can zoom my display in & out as I like & the radar symbol remains exactly the same number of pixels. I could zoom right in to a screen that's about 12 miles across. The radar symbol remains the same number of pixels. At that range you can see the returns do a drunkards walk a few tenths of a miles left & right of the nominal track. The radar symbol is giving no indication of the accuracy.

Pixels do not equal the same miles at arbitrary distances from radar heads & screen zooming.

Are you telling me you'd be happy for me to "target resolve" you (i.e. symbols not touching) with returns that are less than a tenth of a mile apart when they could be wandering by two or three tenths? What a shame the returns both jigged the wrong way & hadn't actually passed. "Sorry Mrs. Smith, targets were resolved".

Because that is what you're supporting.

Now that’s exactly what I am saying about the military. Whereas the rest of the world has moved from clappy old black-and-white television to colour television and now high definition with far greater accuracy and resolution, from what you are telling me the military has gone backwards.
For the last time it was the nature of analogue radar that allowed for target resolution. Digital radar does not share this nature so can't be used in the same way. Get a bloody clue because abusing people when you don't have one just makes you look foolish.