PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The right path.. Stapleford? OAA?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2011, 23:50
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WWW - Your posts used to wind me up in the old days (pre-2009) but now your thoughts mirror mine. Are you softening or am I just getting old and tired?

flyvirgin - That sounds like SFC. The set up was fairly relaxed but the training was to a high standard. The Instructors don't give you an inch and they're people with whom you'd happily drink a pint at the end of the day. Can anyone honestly say they would feel proud of wearing stripes while training? Crumbs, it's bad enough wearing only two when you walk through Stansted...

RB311 - There's no comparison. Buying a commission in the Army led to people with no military training or talent for leadership stepping into positions for which they had no aptitude. Paying for your own training in no way avoids the need for you to 'make the grade'. You have to possess the requisite skill and aptitude or you won't be employable.

downwind24 - Agree with you about the dials. In retrospect I see no advantage in doing the IR on the DA42. In fact, in my opinon it's a disadvantage because the instruments are some kind of wierd halfway house between steam and EFIS. It didn't prepare me for the B738, which has surprisingly intuitive EFIS instruments, nor would it have made flying an older turbo prop or BAE146 an easier. Quite the reverse. As for pass rates, that is the key and definitely what our friend should look at.

indi1988 - Mate, you're doing all the right things; asking all the right questions on here. I went to SFC so I think you're on to a winner with it. When I was in your position I went to a couple of other places to have a look but quickly ruled them out due to location. SFC was the only good modular commercial place which was within commuting distance. It suited my personal family circumstances, my budget, and the teaching style matched my learning style. In areas where it matters, such as pass rates, SFC was as good as any.