PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Control Towers In The Uk
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2011, 09:19
Mooncrest

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Slight thread drift here folks so please bear with me. EGNM/LBA seems (from my point of view anyway) to be having a little trouble with the radar frequency, 125.575. This frequency was adopted during the summer to replace 123.75 and since that time the old ground-plane TX aerials on the roof of the tower have also been replaced. I'd expect the latter as the aerials are specifically made for individual frequencies. However, reception quality has definitely deteriorated. On a couple of occasions recently, 125.575 has been NOTAMed as U/S for work in progress with no noticeable improvement afterwards. On some days, reception is reasonably good. On others, there is a lot of white noise accompanying each transmission and the signal barely breaks through the squelch. The tower frequency, 120.3, is received far more strongly which doesn't make sense to me as it uses a lower power transmitter than 125.575. Also the standby radar frequency, 133.125, far "out-receives" 125.575.

For info, I use at home an ICOM desktop receiver with a loft mounted dipole aerial. I don't know if there if have been any pilot reports about questionable reception.

Anyone have any clues as to what the problem may be ? Ta.

MC