PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gutersloh, Mid 70s
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2011, 09:00
langleybaston

Received 731 Likes on 255 Posts
The day of the glazed ice.

Almost uniquelyfor semi-modern RAF bases EDUO had a significant glazed ice/ rain ice risk. This because of its well-inland continental location. The phenomenon only happens when a warm front is raining into a constantly-refreshed very cold and dry low-level flow ...... the rain becomes super-cooled at a rate faster than it warms the air, so super-cooled water reaches the surface. And freezes. Inevitably I was on duty for a bad such day. Although it was predicted, it looked on contact with the ground like wet ground, so I went out the front of Ops / Met and stood on what I took to be the horizontal stone wall flanking the rather grand steps, to have a good look. Only it was not horizontal. Coefficient of friction about zilch, and the scenery started passing from right to left at a rate of knots. Of course the wall ended up about 6 ft in the air above the road, so it was like a Disney cartoon. I managed to land under some sort of control as SATCO parked beside me. He was laughing his head off until he realized his car door was frozen solid. On winding down the window, he was left with a solid sheet of glazed ice about 1/4 inch thick.

Later in day I had to take a daughter to the Med Centre. The car made it, but only because the kerbs each side kept us on a course if you average out the tacks.

I never saw the like again, and don't want to.