PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-15E/GR4 or F-111 the best?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2002, 11:05
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The F-111 does have a formidable payload range capability. This alone makes it the only choice for certain types of mission.

Moreover, Pave Tack is a good system, though the remaining RAAF F-111s have a modest 'portfolio' of weapon options.

But at Low Level, during 1980s Red Flags, the 'Lemon' was often out-performed by the Tornado which does not have the 'legs' but which is just as fast at low level, has an equal or better auto TF capability, and better EW. It isn't quite as poor when it comes to structural and reliability factors, either.

The Tornado has its problems, too, of course, though medium level PGM capability using TIALD 400 is now (finally?) not bad, and the type is on the verge of introducing some exciting new weapons.

The F-15E is perfectly OK at Low Level, though I would imagine that that great big wing must make it a mite uncomfortable.

In the post Cold War world, though, there is seldom much need for low level, though let's not fall into the trap of using Desert Storm to prove that the technique entails unacceptable losses. Remember that a high proportion of the Desert Storm Tornado losses were NOT of aircraft on low level JP233 attacks (contrary to media implications) nor even of aircraft toss-bombing from low level.

When I spoke to Chuck Horner (the Air Commander in Desert Storm - 'Name Drop, Name Drop.....GO!!!) after the war he was clear that the low level phase of Desert Storm ended when it ended not because of losses, but because that target set had been hit successfully, and the Tornado's next target set dictated medium level tactics. I got much the same message from Bill Wratten and from Buster Glossom.

Last edited by Jackonicko; 3rd Sep 2002 at 11:21.