PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2011, 20:16
flying lid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A snippet of information from Concorde's past, from an unlikely source.

I recently read a book entitled "The Somerset & Dorset Railway, Then and Now" by Mac Hawkins. An interesting comment is made regarding Winsor Hill Tunnel (Near Shepton Mallet), which was used, in 1968, after the line was closed and lines lifted, by Rolls Royce for destructive tests on the Olympus engine destined for Concorde.

To quote the book, "Up to the late 1980's the tunnel's portals were obscured by massive steel doors, built a little in front of the stonework and supported by a frame. These where constructed as an anti-blast measure by Rolls Royce in 1968, who used the tunnel for destructive tests on the Olympus engine for Concorde. They ran an engine without oil, expecting it to blow up within 20 minutes or so, but in the event it laster for well over two hours !. The tunnel's use for this purpose was only over a few days, planning permission having been sought from Shepton Mallet RDC as a matter of course, in case an explosion caused a change in the local topography"

I originally posted the above in the Qantas A380 thread, as that seems to be all about RR trent engines & lubricating oil matters. Perhaps it's better here as a testiment to the technical savvy of RR many years ago. Anyone remember these tests ?.

Quite a good thread this. Sadly I've never flown Concorde, but have visited her at Manchester, Duxford & Yeovilton. The one at Yeovilton had the engine access door open, allowing one to gaze up into the technical wizardry of the engine. The access door itself amazed me, doubles as some sort of oil tank, complete with heavy, precision made piano type hinges !!

A model of Concorde graces the family mantelpiece.

Edited to add link regarding above story

Windsor Hill Tunnel

Lid

Last edited by flying lid; 5th Feb 2011 at 19:29.