PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ Approach Briefing
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2011, 20:02
Bongo Bus Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IPA sounds exactly what GA needs then Remoak. Don't wish it, do it. Off you go form one. See what it takes to get the GA pilots off their butts and into action.

In 2005 ALPA had 160 GA members on their books. That equaled the members at Air Nsn. Alpa then employed 2 liason officers for the North and South Islands respectively. They then called for GA members to volunteer and form a specific GA council that would address GA issues. I had just been accepted into a regional so I was unable to put my hand up. However none of the pilots in my company or the one next door, all doing the hard yards and complaining about it, took the opportunity to get involved.

I cannot tell you what happened to that council but I can guess. It either never got of the ground because no GA members were interested or the instructors from the big companies were interested and ran with it which is why they are represented as they are today.

The members do run ALPA. The top positions are occupied by members who are voted in. If members outside of ANZ feel they are not represented fairly they are welcome to combine forces and get one of their own in a top position. If I were in JC I would contact the PB council and the Jetstar members and vote a Non ANZ member into the Industrial Coordinators or even the Presidents position. That way they can have direct influence on how ALPA is managed and where resources are allocated.

I admit this would be hard for those in GA as they do not have the numbers to stack the vote. But they do have the numbers to form a council that reports to the Board of Management and partition them for support.

What would I do for the GA pilots flying around at night covered in ice? Firstly I would tell them to refuse to fly a non deicing equiped aircraft into know icing conditions unless route MSA is lower than the freezing level or other escape options exist. I would then get them to record what their boss says to them when they refuse. Either on tape or have a witness. If their boss bullies them or threatens them I would get free Union legal representation and take a pg against them.

By the way I have refused to fly for this exact reason and my boss said sweet no worries. It just takes guts and that comes from the knowledge that support is close at hand.

Last edited by Bongo Bus Driver; 27th Jan 2011 at 02:21.