PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - £18 to use a wheelchair
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2002, 09:47
Rapid_Climber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Ten years ago when I first started working in avaition I worked for a small team at Stansted providing assistance to passengers for the then Air UK. We were a team of about five assiting nearly 150 passengers per day, from WCHC (wheelchair CARRY), WCHS (wheelchair STAGGERER), WCHR (wheelchair RUNNER), as well as the occassional UNMIN and YP when the Air UK staff could not cover them. Our services were paid for on a chair by chair basis by Air UK, which was passed at a small amount to every single Air UK paying passenger. We covered booked chairs, and last minute on board requests (often from people who really did not require them, see hand baggage commemt earlier). Air UK at the time were charged £5 for a runner or staggerer, and £10 for a carry. A carry was charged at a higher rate as it required two members of the team trained in lifting to make the sometimes difficult embark/disembark of the passenger.
When Ryanair first started at Stansted they used to pay for Servisair to provide the same service for their passengers. In about 1995 they decided that any last minute pax should pay for Servisairs assistance themselves. Shortly after they declared all passengers should pay for any assistance required. In a couple of cases I myself provided assistance to a paying Ryanair wheelchair pax, having to collect money from someone who actually needs a wheelchair and not just a hand baggage carrier, is one experience I am glad I don't have to do now. I have flown Ryanair for work in the past, but given the option I refuse to fly with CHEAPY carriers, because of such instances were the less fortunate are stamped on by the majority demand for cheap tickets. I am not disabled thankfully, nor do I travel with any disabled relatives, I have seen the other side of the operation. I feel if you are disabled enough to require to be carried off an aircraft the airline should pay for that service, as it's your right to be able to travel as much as anyone else. However if you got a little excited in duty free and can't carry your bags, you should have your pocket hit.