PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Command or go for a play around the world as an F/O?
Old 26th Jan 2011, 15:17
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a lot of focus quite rightly on the negatives and the very real erosion of terms and conditions not just at Ryanair but throughout the industry. On the other hand Ryanair has pretty much doubled in size over the last few years creating vast numbers of flying jobs in the process.

An experienced FO or junior captain would appear to make pretty good money. After a couple of years as a captain say five years in if everything goes right I understand from other people's posts you can potentially make 130 euros times 900 hours minus some costs, so probably 100,000 euros plus. That is certainly not bad.

Compared to sponsorship at a legacy carrier the entry cost is high. But what percentage of people get a shot at that. I was talking to a friend last night whose grandson is applying to LH. He said they were told 6000 qualified candidates had applied for 240 openings which is probably better odds than for many years but still a lottery.

I do agree that there does not seem to be much to look forward to after making captain at Ryanair unless you use it as a springboard. Although I was amused by the poster boy on the Ryanair web sight saying that after 500 PIC he became a TRE.