PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Floods & MRH90
Thread: Floods & MRH90
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2011, 09:51
finestkind

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks Bushranger,

Totally agree, but a combination of an expanding population with development in areas that are questionable makes it more likely that more aid will be required. Very difficult to plan on an agency (whether ADF or civilian) when we don't know the size of the aid requirement. Do we plan on tsunami evacuation for Sydney, Brisbane or Townsville and have a capability that is big enough to do so but then may well remain semi idle( very helpful for minor disasters) for decades awaiting the disaster, basically over compensating. I would suggest we just don't have the economy for that. How do you plan for something like New Orleans, Katrina? We may be able to have a quick reaction time for an event but will we have enough assets?

Fully agree that with authority comes the right to exercise it, from a basic aircraft Captain to an exc. But that was even being eroded in my time. By the time I had completed my first tour it had changed. Once the Captain made the decision but then it was phone home and get approval. The days are gone whereby and operator could say go and get the job done.

Unfortunately that has become our culture and I know of a few officers how have stuffed their careers by making a stand. I don’t think it’s just about careers though, there are a number of actions that can end up with someone standing trail and being prosecuted. Losing a career is one thing, wiping out your life through either financial penalties or jail term is something else.