PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON -3
Thread: MANSTON -3
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2011, 08:16
furmanek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parkway station

I am an avid Manston fan and live rather selfishly in the hope of some useful routes, but I just do not see the merits of the parkway plan. What would be the time saving in getting off a train and then on to a bus at Cliffsend as opposed to the same at Ramsgate or Minster? Unless there was a monorail (think Gatwick North to South) linking the terminal to the station I do not see the logic (I am not suggesting for one second that anyone will build a monorail). Adding another station would also mean that the current train times from the rest of Thanet would have to increase to allow for the stop. A useful station would have to be much much closer to the airfield. Ah but wait haven't KCC just spent millions on a new dual carriageway that now blocks any simple solution? How I wish Manston would flourish but until it is under an hour from the terminal to St Pancras I think I am just a dreamer. ps I cannot understand KCC's opposition to Boris Island. East Kent desperately needs jobs and investment, we also need a lower Thames crossing. London MUST have more capacity over the next 20 years, An airfield out at sea is the best of the a bad bunch as far as safety and population disturbance is concerned and has been shown to work (Tokyo and HK amongst others), the Dubai soverign wealth fund has said it would finance the project, and Manston in such close proximity could become the freight hub for the scheme. All that said, a link from Manston to a major hub airport would make travelling so much easier (for me)! But so would Boris Island.

Last edited by furmanek; 26th Jan 2011 at 08:48.