PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - City University - Is this for real?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2002, 08:36
Airbus Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
patience, I don't think I totally understand your post.

However, if you are saying that you think the course is no good because you don't need a degree to get in (if you have an ATPL), then can I add a couple of thoughts.

The CAA say that the ATPL is equivalent to first year degree level.

When City started its MSc, BSc in a similar subject were only just starting, at least, I don't think anyone had graduated at that time.

So they set the entry as degree or ATPL with experience.

Are you saying that if someone had a degree in, say, Social Sciences, or History, then that would be worth more, and be more appropriate, than someone with an ATPL and experience in the industry?

You can't get through an ATPL if you are stupid. Surely the point of having a degree as an entry to an MSc course is to prove that the person is capable of study at a higher level? For some courses also you need relevant experience of the subject, which in many cases would be an undergraduate degree in the same subject. But as there was not a BSc in Air Transport Management, they chose to accept people with an ATPL and experience as an option.

I don't think you can say the course is dumbed down in any way, the lecturers are the top people in their field. You may be surprised at the quality of the people who come in to "teach" the modules. This is what makes the course expensive. Of course, they could just get academics in who have no "real world" experience, but they choose not to.

The modules cover standard management subjects such as Financial Accounting and Marketing, as well as more specific subjects such as Airline Operations, Airline Economics and Air Accident Management.

And a good course it is too.

Now, back to the subject....