PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 26th Jan 2011, 07:57
coneyisland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
planesense,

Obviously on the most part, all you will find here is a helluva lot of opinion and very little fact. My two cents worth is that I believe the difficulty of the course is highly exaggerated. It really is not as hard as people on here tend to make out. Air traffic control basically just requires quick, clear thinking and the application of common sense, something that is missing when it comes to AsA management - but that is another story. (On that point, it is best to not get involved and worked up with things that don't directly affect you!) However, as others have suggested, it is wise to have a solid Plan B in place - just in case. I really find it difficult to explain why the failure rate is so high - particular during the college phase, this is not rocket science for goodness sake.

Financially speaking, it can be a burden and something you seriously need to consider - particularly if you have a family to look after. All going to plan you would be on a touch under 40k p.a for the college phase (about 11-12 months); 60k p.a for final field training (another 3 - 6 months) and 80k on gaining your initial endorsements and then jumping about 10k p.a as you progress up the salary scale.
Definitely factor all that into your decision. (based on the March 2011 salary scale - there are 2x 3% increases due by March 2012)

The job can be terribly, terribly boring at times - if you detest boredom like myself, you may not like this job. At other times (particularly during summer storms) it can be extremely challenging and mentally draining.

There are a high percentage of people who have only ever worked as an ATC and some of which can be very, very bitter and negative. This is nearly impossible to avoid when you get to the field but it is best just to entertain their misgivings and gripes and don't let yourself get sucked in to it all. Some of their complaints are fair, but a lot of the time things are blown out of proportion due to their contempt towards AsA.

I certainly don't think AsA should win any awards for being a good employer - but I do think they are better than what people here make out. As I said, a lot of these guys have only ever known this employer! IMHO, a lot of the 'issues' stem from the Certified Agreement between AsA and Civil Air being very grey in nature and open to interpretation. Only the union can be blamed for that, although the member's don't see it this way.

All in all, I guess I am trying to give you a more favourable opinion of the place - these things always tend to trend towards the negative. The happy and content generally don't bother themselves with getting involved and expressing their opinions! My personal feeling is ATC is an interesting, different and rewarding job that allows you to be part of a team, yet exercise your independence and have a high degree of personal responsibility. When you unplug at the end of your shift - you go home without a worry in the world. No deadlines to meet, no reading to do, nothing to prepare for the next day! It is fantastic in that sense.

Good luck with your testing and I wish you all the best in whatever path you decide to take. Anymore specific details/questions - feel free to pm me.

Looking forward to my not so "happy, content" colleagues to have a go at me!