PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The noose tightens?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2011, 01:55
Schibulsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we are comparing different scenarios here:
When the likes of PanAm started connecting the world there was an international need for transport as other nations were not developed in aviation.
During the developing of aviation in the last centuries, nations indeed opened their airspace to foreign carriers on a reciprocal base, that means nations opened their local markets to other airlines so both nations/airlines profit from that.
That also lead to airline alliances providing a global network of routes.
Now we have the players in the UAE profiting from their good location between the markets, offering very good one-stop connections between these.
The UAE carriers are not providing a real destination in return, they are just operating a hub, basically leeching from different markets without offering an own substantial market in return.
So why should other nations play along?
Just because Ranjidh from Kerala doesn't like to stop in BOM and in FRA or LHR on his way to Bimmingm?
They are protecting not only their airlines, it's also about the social achievements and the overall situation of their economy...and YES I know it's NOT all honky dory in these nations!

You see what the multi national corporations are doing with local markets worldwide, flooding it with their products and destroying local competitors.
It was possible with the help of corrupt gouvernments in these countries and it is still a common practice for them to sell out their countries wealth and markets, "protection" of their citizens is not high up on their priority list.
And again, I definitely condemn that!
But why should this happen again in aviation?
And keep in mind, once the UAE carriers are controlling and dominating the airline market...they will control not only the price of a ticket but also the price for a pilot! So think twice what you cheer for...

Last edited by Schibulsky; 26th Jan 2011 at 02:30. Reason: typo