PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operationally unnecessary use of B737 Autobrakes
Old 25th Jan 2011, 22:22
Prober

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autobrakes

As I understand it, the optimum benefit of autobrake is achieved in the first few seconds of use i.e. immediately after touchdown. My experience (757, not 737) is that the best performance, on a normal dry runway, is achieved by a gently increasing pressure on the brake pedals thus disconnecting the auto system by about 100 kts. One gets a smooth and undiscernable transition to manual braking and one immediately gets a feel for the aircraft behavior. I teach avoidance of hard braking later in the landing run, disconnecting by a forward movement of the speedbrake lever or by switching off the autobrake switch (and also NOT by a forward movement of the thrust levers!!). Any of these will cause an abrupt change of brake pressure and consequent passenger discomfort. Reverting to the original question, I have always found Boeings to be extraordinarily obscure, obtuse or even obfuscating in their wording of their manuals. I would read the quote as to mean that it is certainly NOT necessary to use autobrake in circumstances other than those mentioned. They would leave it to the pilot’s discretion. What one’s company thinks is, of course, another matter.
Prober