PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabes and pilots, don't panic it will work out.
Old 21st Sep 2001, 23:14
InFinRetirement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggs makes some sensible points which I totally agree with. Especially that consumer confidence will return. It has to, simple logic dictates it, because aeroplanes are the only means of transportation which makes any real sense to travellers. Cars trains and ships are an anathema to most people.

As I said before, this very sad event has decided for some airlines that which was always going to be a very difficult boardroom decision to make. To get rid of cost burdening equipment, and unecessary and costly people. Doesn't sound nice but running an airline is bloody tough. It is in fact another twist in the cycle of airline balance sheets.

It will be some days in my view, before we see a tiny glimpse of where the economy is actually going. But it will be a few weeks before the airlines show some signs of stability. But make no mistake, they will have to apply themselves to that particular problem PDQ!! Or they will fail. There are perhaps a dozen airlines in the UK that will be OK, but there are a few who may just have a problem!

I agree with advice not to pay out large sums of money, like the £56k that has been mentioned. But, as I said at the beginning you must consider your options, perhaps taking a step at a time with as little spent as possible - but do keep on the move. Don't be left behind.

However, do not give up. The recovery in the airlines will come, it always has. You need to pave your own path in the best way that suits you. Make your own decisions and judge any advice carefully. If you have to, seek further advice. My last piece is to put any pessimism you may have in the bin and slam the lid shut!