PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting that first 1000 hours when your country has zero GA
Old 25th Jan 2011, 17:03
windypops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there are too many clowns willing to work for nothing or even pay to work, and unfortunately those guys usually get further than other decent, hard working guys
Can you back that up with hard numbers that statistically those who P2F "get further".

I've just done a really crude survey of people I know (friends, colleagues and "other". "Other" are pilots I know well enough to say hi too on the ramp and have shared a brew and/quick chats with).

Of those less than 5% have been or are P2F.

I'm not going to comment on how I would feel if I lost my job to someone as they could do it cheaper, but I will say that this happens in many other industries. I have family who have lost jobs (outside of aviation) and had to re-apply for their job only to see themselves lose out. Is it tough? Of course it is. Is it unfair? Of course it is. Did they dwell on it? Of course at the initial shock and then the coping mechanism kicked in and every one of them has moved on to bigger and better things.

It can be tough in any industry and you can lose your job doing just about anything and aviation is no different.

I'm by no means supporting P2F, but I would suggest you try to move forward to the final stage of your coping mechanism which is "acceptance". Accept for the time being that P2F is here and that people will use it.

Next thing is to look for an alternative strategy. Perhaps to get a job outside of aviation (or a non-flying one in it) with a plan to do x number of hours "for fun" and to remind yourself why you love flying. I would also suggest part of the plan is to come on here less. It can be a very very depressing forum, even during the "good times" it was still full of doom and gloom as generally people only write about the crap time they are having, then they look back at that time and remember them as the "good old days".

What you very very rarely hear on here are the success stories and people loving their job. Why? Well they don't come on here very often. I'm one of them, I have the odd read on here once or twice a fortnight but I always leave feeling a bit sad. Just before I close down PPRuNe I have a quick look in one of the happier sections. Trust me this place is genuinely a depressing place to hang out.

The above probably sounds really patronising and I've re-read it and tried to tone it down a bit but there are too many words of advice such as "hang in there" etc which I just think is wrong. It suggests you're on your last legs and might just make it. You're not on your last legs and you might not make it.

I'm off to Jet Blast now.