PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways - The Inevitable
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2002, 01:32
MTQatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard the same thing concerning Asian routes. The plan is to start a batch of European/African destinations, followed by Asian destination etc...

If QR will not go to the US and focus on what they do best then the better for them but they will have to enter an alliance or kiss their North American passengers connecting in on UA, AC and LH goodbye.

Hong Kong, Taipei, Manila (direct), Singapore, Vietnam, are all mentioned as possible routes.

QR started to codeshare to HKG with MH so I guess they are seeing good results, TPE was mentioned as an extension of KUL but wouldn't that take too long as opposed to BKK, HKG or a nonstop route?

Vietnam would be interesting, QR would be repeating what they did in KTM, enter an underserved country without a strong national carrier and carve out a niche for themselves.

However, QR would then need to enhance and increase current frequencies into MUC and FRA from DOH.
According to AAB they are awaiting government approval for daily services to both destinations, bookings to and from Europe this winter have been exceptionally strong and so I wouldn't be surprised if MUC or FRA had one or two extra weekly flights if the ASA agreed and slots available.

LH have just sent their auditing team to Doha for an update on QR's status and suitability following recent concerns. Does anyone have any idea on the outcome of the audit?
QR started codesharing with LH on the DOH-MUC route but the codeshare was dropped after the audit found that QR didn't meet LH's criteria in certain aspects such as Emergency management. As far as I know QR aim to comply with all of LH's standards by the end of the year, but I guess if the LH auditors have already been here the reccomendations have all been met.

Oh and happy Qatar Independence Day for all