PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown Procedures
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2011, 03:51
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Scran

I will say it once again as I have many times on this thread. I am not blaming the workface military controllers – I find them as good as any in the world.

What I am blaming are the procedures they have to operate to.

You may be surprised that the operations at Oshkosh fully comply with the FAA regulations for that airspace.

Whilst I appreciate your comments in relation to Williamtown in ’86 when the Hornet came to Australia, wouldn’t it be great if the controllers could have used approved procedures and their own judgement and not be breaking the rules? That is what I would prefer.

I’m not trying to change the system by shaming the controller. Certainly I am giving a strong message to the military that the reason they are having problems in attracting recruits is that they don’t move forward with the times and ask the best advice.

On another tack, why don’t we have nuclear submarines? To me, puttering around in a diesel submarine meaning you have to come up for air every few days and then be radar-identified seems far worse than being in a nuclear machine.

Yes, you will tell me it’s for political reasons that we don’t go nuclear – and that’s pretty right – except that if there was good leadership in the military hierarchy they would be able to communicate to the public the necessity that if we are going to have a submarine fleet at all, at least some of our subs should be nuclear.

I understand from an expert submariner that we can buy one of the proven British models for not a huge difference in the planned price of the new diesel subs.

Your post shows me that there is some good initiative – or there was in ’86 in the military. What has happened today, then? Why doesn’t a military person come on to this thread and say, Dick, we are going to look at everything overseas. We have open minds. If there is a way of doing things better with high levels of safety, we will definitely be doing that.

By the way, Airservices did look at target resolution, but because their radars are multi-radar tracking they said this was ruled out.

Of course, if the military in some locations have displays which are not multi-radar tracked, there is a chance of using target resolution.