PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laptop / Notebook advice sought
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 22:34
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I left an American Logitech keyb. in the UK so I've got the same both sides. Near to flat as a Laptop. But, I did have one of the first Vaio which had a super little keyb. When I got the new one, the keyb is all spongy. Horrible...it bends as one types!

What's more, the batteries run out at 5 - 10 % a day, as per design. I bitched like billio and got a spare battery, but I still have to take it out to lesson the cycles which of course are recorded.

Other than that, it is very good. Drives a Hi Def screen well, showing Net flix and the like with no problem. Spectacular for photos. $640 less $50 for catching a thief in Best Buy. Actually, twas my son's eagle eye that got them.

What I hate is a small Enter or Shift keys. Backspace as well has to be double or it's a non-starter.

Last week I wrote and phoned HP at 'Executive level.' I wanted a laptop, but not all the tat they put on a drive. None of it...just the OS. I was asked to write in, but so far no reply. If I can't have C D and E as drives, I don't want to know. I do not want D tied immovably to Restore which HP seems to do.

As an aside, the first one was an insurance write-off. Sony in Belgium wanted 1,300 Quid for the part. The whole shebang was 999!!!!! The man there tells me that if they find a fingerprint in it, the guarantee is finished. Yes, they 'dust' it for fingerprints.

I managed to fix that one with a bit of MB micro surgery and used it for years.