PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Advice Please!
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 21:54
LH2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ANW1988
Secondly, I know I'm cut out for the career - but such a result creates an inkling of doubt, which I needed others (useful) opinion on.
You did ask for a "useful" opinion, so mine is probably out of the game but FWIW...

Going by your description, you have been confronted with one of those standard tests that cheap and unimaginative Human Resources departments like to inflict upon candidates for some unbeknownst reason.

There is a clear absence of any credible scientific literature (that I have been able to find anyway) supporting the effectiveness of most of those silly methods. Companies go for it just because the HR drones think it looks good and it hasn't yet been as widely discredited as for example graphology (guessing your character based on your handwriting), or morphopsychology (ugly looking: must be a criminal, hot looking: we want you). Btw, both of those were wildly popular in France for a time.

In the case of OAT, they run those tests to project an image of "respectability" and make-believe elitism, so that prospective customers think they are getting more value out of their money than they actually are. You say that you haven't paid for your "assessment"--at the risk of being (rightly) accused of cynicism, I wouldn't be surprised if they had planned to "fail" you only to have you take the test again, but paying (and "passing") this time.

Personally, I find those techniques dishonest and would be very reticent about spending my money there.

In any case, whether there is something wrong with you or not, nobody would be able to tell from running those tests: they are hogwash. On this question, please read Whirls first post.