PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Suits to be scrapped for SH aircrew
Old 24th Jan 2011, 21:46
Easy Street

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts
Desert flying suits will however still be required so the GR kids will have something to change into for hanging out in at the DFAC... Hilarious work fellas, keep it up.
Not quite sure why the idea of aircrew wearing flying suits at an airfield is so amusing (it seems to work for every other nation at KAF), but if it cheers you up then smile away in your scruffy, belt-less, piss-coloured ensemble! Many of the GR guys still use the desert flying suit for flying! (shock horror). Personally, I flew a few sorties in the FRCS but found that during the course of a sortie, the shirt became untucked. I found it impossible to tuck it back in whilst strapped to Martin Baker's finest and wearing a pair of g-trousers; I didn't fancy having a singed arse to add to my troubles after an ejection so reverted to the one-piece flying suit. The main snag with desert flying suits is getting hold of them; however the Tristar stewards always seem to have a full complement!

Some of the guys did fly in FRCS and changed into either standard CS95 or desert flying suits on the ground. Judging by the 'odour' emanating from some of the flying kit lockers, I was glad they were changing there and not bringing their scuzzy kit back to the block!

If it's yet another set of flying clothing that I have to hang up in the wardrobe along with the green/desert flying suits and FR CS95 (alongside the green CS95, desert CS95 and Non FR MTP) then they can do one!
I agree with this totally. All of the above uniforms (except the green flying suits and CS95) can be seen in use at KAF, with various combinations - e.g. which of the 4 possible smocks/jackets is the correct one to wear over a desert flying suit whilst out around KAF? Which way out do you wear the reversible thermal jacket? Throw in a mixture of belts (green and desert) and hats (desert and MTP floppies with brims of varying size, berets, even the odd chip bag on some of the many senior officers) and suddenly we look like a bag o'****e.. I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things but it just looks a bit crap compared to the identi-kitted US Army, USAF, RCAF, etc...

Last edited by Easy Street; 24th Jan 2011 at 23:31.