PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines distribution
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 21:24
Hartington

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
American Airlines distribution

I'm surprised we're not discussing the current fight between AA and Orbitz, Expedia and Sabre. For those that don't know AA pulled it's flights from Orbitz because they refuse to use "AA Direct Connect" and insist on using their existing connection via the GDS. Expedia then stopped selling AA because AA was insisting on the use of Direct Connect. Finally Sabre pulled AA flights, again over the use of Direct Connect although AA got a temporary injunction.

The fight is a bit confusing. Over the past 5 years IATA and ATPCO have been developing ways by which the airlines at large can file all their new fees so that the agencies (be they bricks or clicks) can book and then charge for those fees as part of the selling process. AA have participated in those discussions but now seem to have decided they want more "control" over the sales process. I think, but can't confirm, that part of what they mean is that they want to be able to tailor their offering to you and me. In other words they might look at my booking and say "you're booking economy and if you take all these options it will cost you Z but if you upgrade a class you'll get all that thrown in and it will only cost an extra 1 currency unit" which might be attractive but they could also decide to load your offering. Unless the GDS and agencies pick up on Direct Connect it will make it just that little more difficult to compare AA prices (to whose disadvantage?) because you'll have to go to AA like you have to go to Ryanair.

It also seems to me that AA have their eye on what I sometimes think of as confuser pricing. It's almost impossible to compare mobile phone tariffs and I can't help feeling that's where AA want to go.

Actually, maybe I'm looking for someone to bring some clarity for me.