PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRP-1 Computer
Thread: CRP-1 Computer
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 20:53
nick ritter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is an interesting question and one that i am sure will split opinions

Many on this forum ask for advice on their PPL exams and the often given reply is to buy the PPL confuser

*I would say that this book is as close to cheating as you can legitimately get

I bought it and passed all my exams after going over the questions 3 or 4 times each and thanked my lucky stars that a cheat sheet like this was so openly available, if only one existed for that A level history exam I wondered?

The vast majority can pass the exams without any real under standing as to why if they just gave this 20 pound book a quick once over on the way into work every morning for a week. No real effort needs to go into it, the confuser will sort you out. A Fantastic quick result for some, terrible in the eyes of others

Now, there is no question, an iPhone app that will do say all the calculations for your wind star in 5 seconds, is a very useful and practical tool to have in the real world. Is it cheating? For you exam, Yes, by the letter of the law it is. But IMHO no more so than the confessor, in fact less so I would say

The same applies in the real world. No one in finance sits down an writes out the Black Scholes model to price every option. Once you are aware of how certain inputs and their change will impact others, the F9 key will do the hard work for you, in less than a second

Now of course you will get hundreds saying, it is precisely because you have no idea how to price these things that the world of finance is in such a mess. And perhaps they have a point

There can be no true substitute for education and actually knowing your stuff, especially if you want to be serious about your hobby or trade or passion or whatever it is

It is for this reason that I fully respect others wishes to use the WW, but personally, it isn't for me