PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dumby Question - How do jet engines start?
Old 2nd Sep 2002, 23:20
eng1170

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eng Starting

Just some more info -

On 737-400 (for gnd running purposes atleast) we have pnuematic starter, this can be spun over by air from gnd cart, APU, or air from already running engine, all selected from pnuematic panel o/head. When start selected air directed into start duct and eng will start to motor over (n2) once predetermined n2 speed reached the fuel/igniton is introduced and light up should happen almost instantaneously, at this point EGT becomes the gauge to watch along with n2, oil press, and fuel flow (alot to take in very quickly - and act on if not right!!) at approx 46% the starter should automatically cut out and the engine continue to run up to idle parameters, a quick throttle check is then carried out to establish control of the engine.

This is just a brief idea of what happens and I HAVE LEFT LOTS OUT, i.e talking to the guy on the head set outside, pre-start FOD checks, fuel levels for runs, ATC permission, temp and px info, what to do when it goes wrong and a whole host of other thing equally important - but I had to mention this incase I get flamed by some one for not having done this, that or the other!!!

Hey, its as close as I get to being a "Jet-Jockey" and most definetly the best perk of my job - unfortunately I dont get to do it often enough!!