PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabes and pilots, don't panic it will work out.
Old 20th Sep 2001, 14:36
Stevepotts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I applaud your post IFR. I totally agree with your testiment.

However, I also recognise the circumstances outlined by WWW. I myself qualified with a CPL/IR in 1990. I still recall receiving many positive letters from carriers in the late 1980's with virtual promises of jobs when I had completed my license. I also recall within months (following the Gulf crisis and subsequent recession) letters from the same companies asking me to write back when I had an ATPL and 1000 hrs on wide bodied jet to fly a Jetstream! It was grim but I remained with my old job, instructed in my spare time to gain experience and continued to apply for jobs.

In 1999 (at 36 yrs of age)I got my first two interviews and was made offers from both companies. One on a turboprop and the other a jet. I have been flying a jet for nearly 3 years and extremely pleased that I did not give up on my dream. Pilots more than any other occupation have a tendency to be pessimistic at times like these. Perhaps with just cause.

What I will say is that it boils down to how much you want to do the job. If you want to be a Pilot more than anything else then you will get that job! It may take a while but stick with it and continue to build hours, experience and contacts.

When all else fails... Perseverence prevails!