PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vickers Varsity
Thread: Vickers Varsity
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 16:30
Jeff Glasser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a great thread, just read through it and thought I must add my little anecdote which I still find embarressing to this day.
It was as an air cadet on summer camp at R.A.F. Oakington in 1963 or '64. (some Japanese singer was singing the olympics song in the n.a.a.f.i. all the time)
Myself and another cadet were lucky enough to get some flying doing circuits at a nearby airfield (Gravely?) Anyway we sat quietly in the rear and I was quite happy until I needed a pee. This should'nt have been a problem, but my friend told me that as if I got up to go to the toilet I would upset the C.of G. and we'd probably pull a loop, crash, and all die and it would be my fault. I held on thinking that after every 'touch and go' we'd go back to Oakington and blessed relief.
After half an hour of this I was in agony and my friend creased up with laughter. He also said the C.of G. problem would also manifest itself if I went forward to mention my predicament to the flight crew up front! They were very busy anyway.
Well, you can guess that a skinny air cadet can only hang onto a large amount of lemonade, tea, or whatever for just so long so I had to go, all over the seat, me and the floor!! My friend at this stage was crying with laughter! (I would have done the same to him)
When we finaly returned to Oakington, I thought I might get away with this if out of politeness I sat in my seat and let instructor and student go out first they would'nt notice, but no, the instructor was'nt going to leave two air cadets in his aeroplane un chaperoned and gestured for us to leave, whereupon my secret was out.
He never spoke, but the look of utter contempt stayed with me, I can still see him now.
Sorry to whoever had to clean it up, better than vomit though I suppose!
I do'nt have a serial number for the aircraft, only that it 'N' November on the fin,

Jeff