PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Advice Please!
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 15:43
welliewanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whirls:
I'm afraid ANW1988, that I am getting the impression that no-one can tell you anything because you already know it.
Sounds like a lot of captains to me! (Sorry, it was too easy - meant in the best spirits really)

The "extroverted team player" personality is an easy goal for recruiters. These people are easy to spot and do a very good job.
But the stereotypical extroverted team player isn't necessarily the only suitable type. I've done quite a bit of reading on personality types and testing. There is one type (of 16 according to Myers Briggs) which makes an excellent leader, but only when they know that they are qualified to lead. The trouble with the types of scenarios given in group exercises is that nobody is qualified to lead them (the scenarios are so alien). Therefore only the cocky (for want of a better word) candidates shine through. These people will tell people what to do even when they don't actually have a definite solution to the problem.

Unfortunately the type I refer to only constitutes about 1-2% of the population, so it's hard to detect. Maybe (and that's a big maybe) you're that type. I know I am, and I know that I'm thriving in my job now. But I also know that I would fail an interview with easyJet.

So I guess what I'm trying to say (in a very round about, slightly drunk, shouldn't be airing my opinions kind of way) is that if the tests say "no" it doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't suitable for the job. However if you do all the training and sail through passing with flying colours. You may still go to a job interview, get the same test and still be turned down. Only this time £70 - 100k lighter!

On the flip side, there are other companies which will go out of their way to employ "different" people.