PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gutersloh, Mid 70s
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 15:18
langleybaston

Received 728 Likes on 255 Posts
The day Gutersloh was "tagged".
There were fairly frequent squadron exchanges in those days. This anecdote concerns a French Mirage mob. I was present at a mess or squadron do held in their honour, and there was sufficient misbehaviour in public [I can recall white thighs and black sussies flying around ..... and not only the pilots] for me to beat it early, suspecting no good would come of it. Nor did it.

Next day was fly-off, and an outbreak of squadron graffiti had hit the station in the small hours. The squadron badge [official or not] was a rampant "meat and 2 veg", with wings added, and they had brought a stencil or two and some white spray paint. As some of these flying phalluses were a touch public, there was some frantic activity to erase them. The SWO and his team never found the one on the Met. Office shutters, because we firstly folded them in out of sight, and later removed and stored the shutter. When I did a tour as senior forecaster at JHQ c. 1980 the office still had a shutter tucked away.

At least one young married lady [?] had had a sufficiently good time the previous evening to stand by the Met enclosure waving goodbye to our gallant allies as they taxied out.