PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rnp and Ils, Vor approaches
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 12:55
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a reference?
Of course:

Airplanes with IAN are capable of using the MCP APP switch to execute instrument approaches based on flight path guidance from the navigation radios, the FMC, or a combination of both. All IAN approaches provide the functions, indications and alerting features similar to an ILS approach. Although non-ILS approaches using LNAV and VNAV can still be performed, IAN is normally used in place of LNAV and VNAV because of improved approach displays, alerts and standardized procedures.

IAN approach types:
• RNAV
• GPS
• VOR approach
• NDB approach
• LOC, LOC-BC, LDA or similar approaches.

Note: IAN annunciations are not displayed on the standby ADI or ISFD.
For LOC based approaches the localizer has to be tuned, however if the localizer is identical to an ILS you have to select G/S off on the INIT REF page or when selecting the approach. For all other approaches you have to make sure not to tune any ILS/LOC frequency, but there is no required nav aid setting (company recommends to tune the relevant nav aid, but again, it is not required).

IAN is limited to single channel autopilot usage and CAT I minima (there will be an auto-callout "AUTOPILOT" at 100ft AGL to remind the pilots to disconnect the AP), however the APProach mode works for GLS as well which is capable of autoland and automatic rollout to CAT IIIb minima (although only certified for CAT I currently) both for both engines and CAT IIIa with automatic rollout for OEI same as ILS, but different to ILS curved approaches and approaches with different descent angles during different parts of the approaches are possible.