PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper to abandon the Piper Sport
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 12:27
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you look at the failure rate of Lycomings & contnentals that have had an overhaul in the last ten years or so I think you would find another story.
I am sure that's very true - also of those whose oil filter actually gets cut open

You could also look at the attrition rate on Lycon cylinders and their record of cracking - almost regardless of who manufacturers them. Or of course Continentals inability to produce a crankshaft without defects or Lycomings 'instant wear' valve guides or disposable camshafts.
That's all true, and Lyco have had the biggest crank issues.

However, I think this is the chickens coming home to roost as a result of most of these engines going into poorly instrumented planes, and flown by uneducated pilots.

Cylinders don't just crack for no reason. They crack if the CHT is allowed to build up excessively, in high power (high chamber pressure) conditions, and rapid cooling from a high CHT probably doesn't help.

I would expect a regularly flown engine, non-turbo, with an EDM700 or similar, with the CHTs kept below 400F, to make TBO easily. My engine was apart at 700hrs (for the crank swap) and the only parts which were outside new limits were the exhaust valves (which were replaced). I fly LOP all the time in cruise.

It is a pity that the old motors do need careful engine management, and it is a failure of the mfgs and of the training apparatus to get this message across, but it is not at all hard to achieve.