PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can someone explain why the MRA4 has been cancelled before we screw up big time.
Old 24th Jan 2011, 08:50
keesje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not deny the world as it is or the operational requirements that result. I left 20 yrs ago and wasn't there for a long time, so I'm not really a militairy guy.

Still the fact governments wipe away assets like the MPA's is a clear sign something went wrong earlier and we can't only blame the government bodies that pulled the trigger. I you do, the world must look odd.

IMO the new world has different needs, scaring people the old world isn't gone and invisible evil doers are everywhere only works so long. Maybe there should indeed be a European naval command, our interests aren't that far apart. Maybe a clean sheet 40 yr proof requirements document should be drawn up. Maybe it shouldn't be an UAV, but 5-6 folks, powerfull sensors and high bandwidth connections should be enough.

Having the Nimrods around for another 30 years was an interesting idea, but I'm still amazed it came so far. For the overland operations it seems to me other sensors / platforms are better suited then the MPA's.

The Germans bought 5 Global Hawks for $ half a billion and 8 used (modified) P3Cc's for a similar amount of money. Compare that to the UK situation (Nimrods, billions spent, $6.4B budget, 7 yrs late, wiped away). I guess something was fundamentally wrong and the UK armed forced should look in the mirror too.